Under the direction of the Sr. Business Systems Manager, works with the user community (inside and outside CTS) to determine business systems requirements, research/recommend solutions, help in the definition of the Statement of Work, justify and sell solutions, prioritize against other initiatives, establish project plans/timelines, develop, test, and implement prescribed assignments, work with other developers, test solutions, and assist users in adequately testing the solution against initial requirements and test plans. Also responsible for maintaining documentation of the projects he/she coordinates. Additional responsibility includes keeping up with changing technologies as it relates to installed and upcoming systems of interest to CTS. The BSA is the front line application support for the business users.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Work with business users to comprehensively define requirements needed to accomplish their goals effectively, and efficiently. Analyze their basic needs, recommend additional or different criteria, investigate whether something is available within the core system, within the Corporation or on the outside that would meet their needs and ensure that the request does not affect any business controls. Assist users in generating justifications for the proposed solution. Work with the development team in recommending, and developing, robust solutions. Generate a Statement of Work along with an effective test plan, which will yield in a strong application.
- Develop project plans that are justifiable and executable with measurable mileposts and deliverables. Prior to the publication of the plans, ensure resource commitments from team members are obtained. Keep on top of the plans and update them as necessary. Communicate changes, or adjustments, to the plans to all affected parties. Provide periodic project updates to management as required.
- Upon completion of a project, prepare a completion report with lessons learned from the implementation. If appropriate, schedule and conduct a post project implementation study and report.
- Provide programming support (develop, test, implement) for the various software solutions in the Corporate business systems.
- Test new and modified applications in a test environment to ensure the robustness of the system. Help users in comprehensive testing to ensure that all the project requirements are met and that no existing functionality, or control, is broken. Document test findings for future reference.
- Educate users during, and after, the testing process on the workings of the application and the options available. Assist in developing User Documentation and encourage its use as a tool for continued process improvement.
- Play an active role in leading and supporting business process development. Keep “Eyes and Ears” open to user frustrations, error occurrences, all types of wastes, as well as customer, market, or business expectations. Propose process, and/or system, enhancements to alleviate these issues.
- Answer questions from the user community regarding how business processes work and the logic used in the system during the processing of data.
- Generate queries and downloads for requested information. Inform users of existing reports that can be run to analyze data. Demonstrate the accuracy of results obtained in production and assist users in avoiding/correcting user and system errors.
- Participate in internal Information Systems initiatives.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong functional knowledge of financial and manufacturing systems. Working knowledge of Web Based systems, SharePoint, ERP systems, and data warehouse solutions.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Proven track record of providing new or innovative approaches to business system issues.
- Long and short-term project management. Oversees multiple projects simultaneously.
- Communicate well, both verbally and with written documents. Sometimes leads meetings and attends and presents at corporate meetings.
- Provide leadership in project planning and management. Must demonstrate confidence and success capabilities.
- Demonstrated experience in providing proactive solutions to system, and process, issues. Ability to understand and focus on broader business issues.
- Ability to analyze and diagnose problems, develop alternative solutions, and recommend and implement an effective course of action.
- Exercise good judgment in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to influence and build relationships within and outside the organization.
- Ability to facilitate and encourage participation from others, to convey essential information clearly and concisely, both in writing and verbally, and to actively listen while gathering information.
- Strong planning, organizational, and time management skills.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Systems Development, or related curriculum from an accredited institution.
- Experience with software development
- Experience as a Systems Analyst or Business System Analyst
- A strong functional knowledge of financial and manufacturing systems is required.
- Experience working with Web Based systems, SharePoint, ERP systems, and COGNOS or other data warehouse solutions is strongly desired.
- Ability to work several hours at a computer
- Ability to travel domestically
- Standard office environment