CTS Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2017 Results
Robust growth in sales and total booked business
Lisle, Ill. – CTS Corporation (NYSE: CTS) today announced fourth quarter and full year 2017 results.
Fourth Quarter 2017 Results
- Sales were $110.9 million, up 9.2% year-over-year. Sales to automotive customers increased 7.3%, and sales of electronic components grew 12.7%. The Noliac acquisition, completed in May 2017, added $3.0 million of sales in the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Net loss was $13.6 million or $0.41 per share, which included a $18.0 million one-time, non-cash charge related to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and a $13.4 million one-time, non-cash pension settlement charge.
- Adjusted diluted EPS was $0.39 compared to $0.29 in the same quarter of 2016.
Full Year 2017 Results
- Sales were $423.0 million, up 6.6% compared to 2016. Sales to automotive customers increased 4.8%, and sales of electronic components grew 10.2%. The Noliac acquisition added $7.1 million of sales in 2017.
- Net earnings were $14.4 million or $0.43 per diluted share.
- Adjusted diluted EPS was $1.23 compared to $1.08 in 2016.
- Operating cash flow was $58.0 million, up 23% year-over-year.
- Total booked business grew $219 million in 2017, a 14.4% increase, to $1.737 billion.
“We made progress on several fronts in 2017, growing our total booked business substantially, building momentum in sales growth, improving earnings, and generating strong cash flows,” said Kieran O’Sullivan, CEO of CTS Corporation. “We will continue to focus on improving sales and gross margins in 2018.”
Full year 2018 sales are expected to be in the range of $435 to $455 million. Adjusted earnings per diluted share for 2018 are expected to be in the range of $1.32 to $1.44.
As previously announced, the Company has scheduled a conference call at 11:00 a.m. (EST) today to discuss the fourth quarter and full year financial results. The dial-in number is 877-616-0061 (719-325-4757, if calling from outside the U.S.). The passcode is 497714. There will be a replay of the conference call from 2:00 p.m. (EST) today through 2:00 p.m. (EST) on Tuesday, February 20, 2018. The telephone number for the replay is 866-375-1919 (719-457-0820, if calling from outside the U.S.). The replay passcode is 2515838. A live audio webcast of the conference call will be available and can be accessed directly from the Investors section of the website of CTS Corporation at www.ctscorp.com.
CTS (NYSE: CTS) is a leading designer and manufacturer of products that Sense, Connect, and Move. The company manufactures sensors, actuators, and electronic components in North America, Europe, and Asia. CTS provides solutions to OEMs in the aerospace, communications, defense, industrial, information technology, medical, and transportation markets.
For more information, visit www.ctscorp.com.
This document contains statements that are, or may be deemed to be, forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, any financial or other guidance, statements that reflect our current expectations concerning future results and events, and any other statements that are not based solely on historical fact. Forward-looking statements are based on management’s expectations, certain assumptions and currently available information. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof and are based on various assumptions as to future events, the occurrence of which necessarily are subject to uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are made subject to certain risks, uncertainties and other factors, which could cause our actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those presented in the forward-looking statements. Many of these, and other, risks and uncertainties are discussed in further detail in Item 1A. of CTS’ Annual Report on Form 10-K. We undertake no obligation to publicly update our forward-looking statements to reflect new information or events or circumstances that arise after the date hereof, including market or industry changes.
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
4925 Indiana Avenue
Lisle, IL 60532
Telephone: +1 (630) 577-8800
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Adjusted earnings per share is a non-GAAP financial measure. The most directly comparable GAAP financial measure is diluted earnings per share.
CTS adjusts for these items because they are discrete events, which have a significant impact on comparable GAAP financial measures and could distort an evaluation of our normal operating performance.
CTS uses an adjusted earnings per share measure to evaluate overall performance, establish plans and perform strategic analysis. Using this measure avoids distortion in the evaluation of operating results by eliminating the impact of events which are not related to normal operating performance. Because this measure is based on the exclusion or inclusion of specific items, they may not be comparable to measures used by other companies which have similar titles. CTS’ management compensates for this limitation when performing peer comparisons by evaluating both GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures reported by peer companies. CTS believes that this measure is useful to its management, investors and stakeholders in that it:
- provides a meaningful measure of CTS’ operating performance,
- reflects the results used by management in making decisions about the business, and
- helps review and project CTS’ performance over time.
We recommend that investors consider both actual and adjusted measures in evaluating the performance of CTS with peer companies.