Key responsibilities include providing equipment design expertise to the conception, documentation and presentation of tooling and equipment.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Provide feedback on Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA) to CTS’s internal functional area and customers.
- Maintain equipment models, bills of materials, purchasing documents, and development records according to CTS standards.
- Create, maintain and improve equipment and tooling designs in CAD.
- Provide design and development expertise from new concept ideas to production implementation, including but not limited to design for manufacturability, design for injection molding, incorporation of CTS standardized practice [including design guidelines], and design robustness to customer specification.
- Provide clear and timely communication with suppliers and development teams during the complete equipment design life cycle. Typical activities include hosting and participating in design reviews and specification reviews.
- Apply a principled approach to design engineering by creating and utilizing functional documentation tools such as bills of material, purchasing requests, and other specific tools in the design process.
- Maintain good organization to manage design data and communicate the data throughout the global organization.
- Participate in team meetings, accept / assign action items and follow up as required. Communicates equipment and tooling concerns to development team.
- Ensure equipment design and performance compliance with CTS, regulatory, and customer specifications. Determine and evaluate competitive products as needed by benchmarking.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert skill level using a 3D Solid Modelling CAD system (Solid Edge preferred). Detailed knowledge for the selection and application of engineering polymers, ferrous and non-ferrous metals, and associated manufacturing processes (in particular injection molding and stamping). Computer fluency in PC applications, in particular Microsoft Office. General knowledge and understanding of industry, departmental, company, and corporate procedures/systems: e.g., statistical analysis, ISO, TS-16949, FMEA, ECO system, PDP.
- General understanding of cause and effect relationships that will provide the skill to identify and solve tooling and assembly problems using modeling tools.
- Capable of managing and prioritizing multiple projects/tasks. Needs to be able to evaluate workloads and estimate times to complete.
- Able to communicate effectively resulting in a clear understanding of the issues. Ability in
- Capable of leading a design effort and communicating design and build requirements to equipment development teams.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in a technical field or 5 years of equivalent experience.
- Technical experience with CAD and equipment/tooling design
- Automotive experience is preferred
- Ability to work several hours at a computer
- Ability to travel (domestic and international) as needed
- Standard office environment