CTS Corporation is an international, innovative designer and manufacturer of sensors, actuators and electronic components supplying the automotive, communications, medical, industrial, defense, and aerospace markets.
CTS Automotive is currently seeking a Lead Motor Design/Control Engineer to join the Engineering group working at the Elkhart, IN facility. This position will provide new product development leadership for electric machine design and control, serve as a technical leader of a multi-disciplinary team, provide core technical support, ensure the cost, timing and performance objectives are met for assigned projects, and provide training to other engineers and technicians.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Development of controls and testing for Brushless DC (BLDC) and brushed motor actuators
- Development of methods to improve electric machine performance through improved materials, modeling methods and design algorithms
- Development of test plans and processes data from electric machine testing
- Work with system development and embedded software engineers
- Lead benchmarking and analysis of competitive products and technologies
- Evaluate electric machines in various stages including prototype, pre-production and final production
- Support team to ensure product design and performance compliance with CTS regulatory and customer specifications
- Support customer returns analysis efforts
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- In depth knowledge of Electrical Engineering Electric Machine design and analysis with consideration of invert / drive and control (Space Vector Modulation, etc)
- 3+ Years electromagnetic analysis experience with CAE tools such as JMAG 2D & 3D, Flux 2D & 3D, Maxwell or similar type of electromagnetic analysis software
- Experience with simulation and testing software for system evaluation such as LabView, Matlab and Simulink
- Competent in the use of electronic tools (network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, function generators, etc.)
- Well understanding of analog and digital circuit, a/d, d/a, power and etc.
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Thorough understanding of cause and effect relationships that will provide the skill to identify and solve problems using tools such as FTA, 8-D, 5-why analysis, etc.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of automotive industry, procedures/system e.g. Statistical analysis, ISO, TS-16949, FMEA, ECO system, PDP, etc.
- Excellent communication skills
Education and Experience
- Ph.D in Electric Machine Design and analysis is preferred
- 5+ years of electrical machine and /or inverter / drive engineering experience
- Ability to work several hours at a computer
- Ability to travel (domestic and international) as needed
- Standard office environment