RF Sensor and Control System
CTS’ RF Sensor is a fully-integrated diesel particulate filter sensor and control unit, capable of directly measuring soot and ash levels in the particulate filter and controlling aftertreatment system operation based on filter measurements.
The diesel particulate filter sensor uses low-power radio frequencies (RF) to transmit and receive RF signals through the filter. Soot and ash accumulation levels, as well as filter failure symptoms, can be directly measured by the change in response of the RF signal. The sensor provides additional flexibility to engine and aftertreatment system designers when attempting to meet increasingly stringent emissions regulations and fuel efficiency standards.
The system is uniquely designed for on-vehicle sensing and control with a wide range of applications including passenger cars, trucks, buses, rail, marine, off-road equipment and power generation. Originally developed for diesel particulate filter (DPF) applications, the system is equally applicable for gasoline particulate filter (GPF) applications as well.
Real-time measurements and feedback control based on filter soot and ash levels enable the following benefits for OEM and retrofit applications:
- Reduced engine fuel consumption through optimized regeneration intervals and duration
- Advanced filter diagnostics with powerful particulate filter measurement capabilities on the vehicle
- Decreased warranty claims via more precise feedback control of particulate filter operation
- Lower maintenance costs by measuring ash directly, cleaning the particulate filter only when needed
- Extend component life by minimizing high temperature regenerations
- Reduce system costs by utilizing smaller or less expensive filters via improved sensing
- Faster development times by decreasing the resources needed for particulate filter calibration
Specific benefits and system advantages depend upon a number of factors, including baseline application and after-treatment architecture and control strategy.