Under the direction of Process Development or Product Manager, the Process Development Engineer assists in the developing of new processes as required. Supports manufacturing with training, problem solving, product or process characterization, design and development of production fixtures, process and documents efficiency improvements, and continuous improvement activities. MUST also be able help in product design with innovative new technologies and methods to drive continuous improvement.
Provide development and application support for manufacturing equipment.
Requires the ability to communicate effectively, using multiple media’s at all levels within the organization. Must be able to supervise, coach and mentor Junior Process Engineers and technicians in identifying desired actions to drive process problems and new products to completion.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Interfaces with management, customer, sales team, Junior Engineers, technicians and launch engineering to select, modify and optimize processes to meet product requirements. Using statistical tools and designed experiments, process development engineer will select equipment and develop a process flow to meet product specifications.
Process Engineer will be a resource for the design, optimization, launch and manufacturing of product or process issues and further optimize products for manufacturability, cycle time, and cost reductions. Process Development Engineer will drive design reviews and FSA (final ship acceptance). Provides timely help and leadership in solving product problems through guidance, training and technical assistance to junior engineers and technicians. Institutes best practices, mainly in problem solving and DOE throughout the product development organization.
Research opportunities in which products or processes may have potential to be disruptive technology or new technology for future application. Process Sustaining, Engineering, Supervisory responsibilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Machining experience, use of CNC, lapping, grinding, dicing and/or drilling equipment.
- Hands-on capability with good knowledge of hand tools and measurement equipment such as Renishaw or optical measurement tools
- MS Office
- QC Calc
- Manufacturing and/or process engineering experience.
- Thorough Knowledge of statistical tool such as statistical process control, gauge
- Capability, and continuous improvement techniques is a must.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 5+ years of experience in a technical field. In depth knowledge of Manufacturing, Quality, Lean manufacturing and ISO9000. Working knowledge of analytical tools and statistical techniques.
- A working knowledge with mechanical design software. Understanding of metrology measurement systems and knowledge of quality systems.
- Training and presentation skills
- Good work habits and communication skills are required. Able to work independently as well as in team environments is necessary.
- Ability to learn complex processes. Ability to effectively use software tools like Microsoft word, excel, and power-point. Knowledge of process control tools like SPC, process capability etc. Gauge R&R, Good problem solving, electromechanical equipment and interface development skills
- RF knowledge a plus
- Standing, walking and sitting.
- Ability to perform manufacturing jobs. Occasional lifting to NIOSH standards.
- Ability to perform visual inspection with and without magnification.
- May require the use and / or exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals and / or equipment.
- Occasional exposure to chemicals and dust.