Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, the Transducer engineer evaluates process performance to customer specifications and outlines process improvement activities which are consistent with six sigma and lean methodologies to ensure continuous improvement and product cost goals are met. Transducer engineer will coordinate the activities of technicians to optimize selected processes. Provides input in the development of new products or processes as required. Provides support to engineers and technicians in training, problem solving, product or process characterization, design and development, process efficiency improvements and continuous improvement activities. Requires the ability to communicate effectively. Must be able to mentor and coach peers and subordinates in process characterization and continuous process/product. In all activities, some travel may be required. Familiarity with hydrophones, transducers or piezo ceramic is a plus.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Monitor factory issues with products and processes post launch. Provide necessary support to ensure order fulfillment. Champion factory SPC and Lean initiatives. Train others on the proper use of these techniques Monitor factory issues with products and processes post launch. Utilizes an array of continuous improvement tools (DOE, DMAIC, Six Sigma) and statistical analysis methods
- Transducer engineer will be a resource for the design, optimization, launch and manufacturing of product or process issues and further optimize products for manufacturability, cycle time, cost reductions and transfer off shore. Transducer engineer will drive design reviews and FSA (final ship acceptance).
- Research opportunities in which products or processes may have potential to be disruptive technology or new technology for future application.
- Address shortfalls in products, materials and processes through development of creative and innovative approaches.
- Interfaces with management, customer, sales team, technicians and launch engineering to select, modify and optimize products or processes to meet customer requirements. Using simulation software and/or statistical tools, Transducer engineer will develop and optimize product or process to meet customer specifications. Transducer engineer will apply statistical experiments to optimize process capability.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive experience with one of the following: ceramic bonding, thick film printing, lapping, or electrical test.
- Thorough knowledge of statistical tools such as Mini Tab, JMP, gauge capability, and DOE.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge of thick film processing, hydrophone or transducer manufacturing. May have expertise in more than one field.
- Applies advanced analytical abilities in performing required analyses to identify problems, develop appropriate solutions and implement with available resources to complete complex assignments.
- Under general supervision, develops detailed engineering plans within broad objectives. Tracks progress and evaluates results. Recommends changes in procedures after reviewing various alternatives. Reviews progress with management
Education and Experience
- Senior Process or Material Engineer- BS degree in related field with 5+ years of experience in a technical field. In depth knowledge of materials and processes. Working knowledge of analytical tools and statistical techniques. Good work habits and communication skills are required. Able to work independently as well as in team environment is necessary
- Transducer engineer may be exposed to brief infrequent periods of lifting and times requiring manual dexterity.
- Transducer engineer may be exposed to Pb or other hazardous materials requiring use of respirator or other protective equipment.